Friday, February 03, 2006

Charleston Area Hot Dog Joints - Delish - Not a REAL WV Hot Dog, but ...


It seems almost unfair to include Delish in our ever growing list of Hot Dog Joints. Nothing about the "Delish Dog" can be compared to a true WVHD except its basic shape. But this thing is good. Really, really good.

I was leaving a mid-day meeting on Thursday and found myself walking past Delish at around 2:00. I had planned on skipping lunch but I remembered seeing a hot dog on the menu before, so in the interest of research I decided to stop in and check it out. My taste buds are glad I did (my waistline might have a different opinion).

It starts off with a frankfurter on steroids. Its at least twice as large as a typical weenie. The bun is basic enough, but that's where any similarity to a WVHD ends. Add a creamy roasted garlic sauce, chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, and scallions. To a true West Virginian this sounds like utter nonsense, but trust me it is a truly phenomenal taste treat.

I have always been a fan of Delish's pasta dishes and various burger offerings, but I will be hard-pressed to order anything but a Delish Dog on future visits.

2 comments:

Rick Lee said...

I used to eat at Delish just about every day until I moved my studio to the West Side. You can't get anything bad there. Virgil is a true artist. The Thai Satay (add veggies) is heaven.

stacey abshire said...

I'll have to try that dog sometime... My usual there is the bbq sandwich.