Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Charleston Area Hot Dog Joints - Fresh Seafood Company at Capitol Market


This is another one of those places that you might not expect to find a hot dog. It is also one of those places you might not order a hot dog because of all the other good stuff on the menu. You will be rewarded, though, if you do.

Since Charleston is a "right fur piece" (that means "a long way" in West Virgineese) from any seaport where fresh fish can be found, we have only a few decent fish places in town. Fresh Seafood Company has two locations and both serve excellent seafood. The kiosk-like Capitol Market location also sells excellent hot dogs.

Some Assembly Required

This is a real negative for me, but I can see where it might be a positive for others who like customized dogs. You order your hot dog at the counter and you get a steamed bun, weenie and chili. You then get to dress your dog the way you want it with onions, mustard, ketchup and slaw. Personally, when I pay someone else to cook my food I like it to be assembled when I get it (I don't eat fajitas for the same reason).

But even with the extra labor involved I must confess that the hot dogs are excellent. The chili is just about perfect in consistency and taste. It's not too spicy and not too tame. The slaw is the standard slaw they sell as a side dish with their seafood dishes and it does excellent double-duty on the dogs. The onions were very sweet but I imagine this changes with the season. Overall I would have to rank them a top five in taste, but the inconvenience knocks them down a few notches. Still a top-ten.

It will be an interesting dilemna the next time I have lunch with someone at the market whether to get fish, chowder or hot dogs. How about two WVHD's with a side order of New England Clam Chowder?

1 comment:

Jim said...

I tried to find an email address, but could find it so I hope you see this in time.

There is a major controversy in the Donutbuzz Big Eats Tournament where Sunflower Seeds are tied or leading hot dogs in a battle of tastiest snacks.

Hot dog fans need to act today as polls are closing soon. Don't let this March Madness happen! Vote now. WV hot dogs need our help.