If you are looking for some family fun for tomorrow, come to Huntington's Pullman Square for the 2007 West Virginia Hot Dog Festival. A whole bunch of vendors from the Huntington area will be their selling their signature pups.
For those from out-of-town, here are some pointers:
- Park in the garage. It is a couple of bucks to park there, but you can't beat the garage for easy accessibility in and out of the Square.
- Get a Stewart's hot dog....and discover why Huntington doesn't deserve equal representation with Charleston in the legislature.
- For soft drinks, you need only purchase Frostop root beer. It is truly the beverage of the gods.
- Be sure to try Huntington's two 5 weenie HDJs, Hillbilly Hot Dogs and M & M Dairy Bell.
- If Sam's Hot Dog Stand has once again neglected to bring slaw, boycott them in protest.
- Try a Johnny Dog, even though they don't have slaw. He works out of a downtown pushcart, so slaw would be a very bad idea in the summer.
- Check out the weenie dog races at noon. Running Dachshunds are the third funniest things in the animal kingdom.
- Eat light meals today and for breakfast tomorrow. Fresh vegetables and whole grains will help prepare the body for the massive intake of nitrites, nitrates, salt, and fat.
- Don't get a dog for every member of the family at every stand. By all means, try each stand if you wish, but sharing will maximize variety and minimize intestinal discomfort later.
- Keep in mind that Starbucks and Coldstone Creamery are there, too.
I would recommend taking about $25-$40 for a family of three or four (I have a roll of John Adams dollar coins ready and waiting). That should more than cover everything and buy a couple bottles of Tums at CVS on the way home.