I am forever getting email from folks, mostly expatriates in faraway lands, that are looking for authentic WVHD chili recipes. We've decided to add a section to the website where we can publish recipes, but we need the help of our readers. Basically, we need you to send us your recipes!
A few guidelines:
- We need chili recipes and we need slaw recipes.
- Please don't send one you've never tried.
- If you have a recipe from your church or school, it probably feeds hundreds. Scale it down for us, please.
- Let us know what part of the state the recipe is from.
Send your submittals to
info at wvhotdogs dot com
(You realize, of course, that I formatted the email address like that to discourage spambots, but I trust you can interpret how to format it in your email.)
Once we get a few recipes collected we'll be adding the new pages to the site. In the meantime, here's one that I have found and tested. It tastes like North Central WV HDJ sauce:
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder