Sunday, March 21, 2010

Amazing Discovery - The Long Lost Marmet Yellow Slaw Recipe!

So there I was snooping through this random flea market and I happened to pick up a little recipe box. Inside the box was an old and yellowing index card with the following recipe typed as plain as day. Since Mr. C's demise, this recipe was thought to be lost forever.

With the possible exception of the Dead Sea Scrolls, there has never been a more significant discovery of the written word.


MARMET FAMOUS YELLOW SLAW

3 lb head of cabbage, shredded fine and drained
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper


Combine ingredients and leave overnight in refrigerator.

For all those readers who had been looking for a good WV Hot Dog slawrecipe, look no further! While it isn't traditional WVHD slaw, it is very tasty.

Here is a old photo of a Mr. C's yellow slaw dog and a regular slaw version.

2 comments:

Mike said...

hey Stanton, I got the opportunity to try your recipe out early last month and found that it's an absolutely amazing slaw. Sweet, smooth, and a fantastic cool-down to the spicy Yann's-like sauce I paired it with. I wrote about it over at my blog at http://thehotdogblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/the-pearl-experience/

Thanks and keep up the good work!

- Mike

Miss Moody said...

wow. i was literally telling someone yesterday at work that the best hotdogs come from this little stand in Marmet. Then today, I come across you coming across the recipe for the slaw. THANK YOU! lol this is great. I used to go get hotdogs there with my Grandmother when I was young. So glad they are keeping it going!

-amanda m ( boone county)