Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Downtown Charleston HDJ Death Match Round 6 - The Fresh Seafood Company vs. Sister Act Cafe

After defeating Diana's Snack Bar and then winning in two walkovers of HDJs who failed to make an entry, The Fresh Seafood Company now has to tackle a serious opponent: Sister Act Cafe.

Now Sister Act did not fare well on our initial review, receiving a ZERO Weenie score, but the volume of fan mail we've received since then have made us think that maybe we caught them on a bad day. Their performance today confirmed it.

I do not recall seeing this before, but Sister Act now offers three different temperatures of chili: "Regular", "Spicy" and "Charleston Devil Dog." I opted for the middle one and it turned out to be a good choice. The flavor of the chili was definitely influenced by some cayenne pepper and something else that I just couldn't put my finger on - kind of tart and very tasty. Versus The Fresh Seafood Company, there is no doubt that Sister Act comes out on top.

The weenie seemed to grilled and all-beef; nice flavor. No clear winner here. nor where the buns are concerned.

The slaw was tasty but had great big chunks of cabbage in it. Again, a virtual tie with perhaps a slight edge to TFSC for its better texture.

One critical difference tips the scale on this round: at the TFSC, I have to assemble my own hot dog and Sister Act is kind enough to do it for me.

This is the closest match yet, but the winner is Sister Act Cafe. And while I am at it I will go ahead and update their Weenie Rating to a 4.5. Great improvement!

Next Up: Sam's Hot Dog Stand, Hale Street


No comments: