Sunday, January 08, 2006

Charleston Area Hot Dog Joints - Snack Bar at the Kanawha County Courthouse - Updated


Update: Thanks to Rick Lee for photos. He says "Here are some shots from the KC Courthouse. The dogs are good. Not much to say... much like Skeenies they are simply straight-ahead WV hot dogs. Very tasty. Say what you will about the dogs, it wins in the category of "Best Romanesque Architecture in a Hot Dog Stand". "

Original Post: I went looking for a decent dog in downtown Charleston one day and was quite surprised at this find. I've bought a lot of candy bars and soft drinks from the snack bar at the Courthouse over the years, but one day as I walked past I smelled the unmistakable aroma of hot dog chili wafting its way through the hallowed halls. I thought I'd chance it and got a couple with everything to take back to the office. I'm glad I did, because I found them to be about the best dog I've ever tasted in downtown Charleston. (Caveat: This was a one-time sampling a couple of months ago and I haven't been back to verify the consistency of the product.)

Every part of these dogs was excellent. The weiners were very meaty, the chili was just spicy enough to make its presence felt, and the sweet slaw was just about perfect in texture and taste. If this quality proves to be consistent it will defintely end up on my top-five list. Update: 1/24/2006 - The dogs are still good! I noticed this trip that they microwave the buns. I don't really like this because it makes them chewier as they cool down. Steaming is much better. Still a top-five contender, though, especially if limited to the downtown Charleston area.

Marc E. Williams reports that the second floor snack bar across the street at the Judicial Annex has great dogs, too.

No comments: