Sunday, April 01, 2007

Charleston Hot Dog Joint Review - The Chop House

Ask anyone where the most expensive restaurant in Charleston is and they are liable to tell you it's The Chop House, and they are liable to be right. This extremely hoity-toity restaurant located in The Town Center Mall is known for its $30 appetizers and $40 entrees and pricey sides like $8 steamed broccoli. It is a fancy eatin' place if ever Charleston had one.

So imagine my surprise when I went out for a nice birthday dinner and found on the menu a real, live West Virginia Hot Dog. The "Haughty Deauxg," as it is called, has a typically Chop House sized weenie that weighs in at a hefty 1 lb. 4 ounces (before cooking) and a bun that is nearly the size of a small loaf of Wonder Bread. On top of the weenie is a huge helping of great tasting chili (only they call it "sauce de' chili") and a big serving of "Koohlsla"(which tastes exactly like slaw to me). A mustard-like substance and onions that had been shaved into little curly-cues finished it off perfectly.

Now I had my tastebuds set for some filet mignon, but after seeing the Haughty Deauxg on the menu I simply had to try it. I'm glad I did. First of all, it tasted great. It was so big that I ate half of it and took the rest home for lunch the next day and I didn't have to order anything else to complete my meal. At $22.50 it is certainly the most expensive hot dog I have seen but it was truly worth it. And it was much cheaper than the $35 filet I intended to order.

I really wish I had brought my camera because this thing has to be seen to be believed, but alas, you'll just have to take my word for it or go try one yourself. Easily a Five-Weenie rating for this fantastic hot dog that is absolutely worth getting dressed up for.

If you're going to The Chop House, make sure you have reservations. They are especially busy most holidays, especially April Fools Day.