Friday, April 06, 2007

Ramps and Hot Dogs

First, you've got to check out Charles' post about ramps over at the Charlestonian Blog.

Have you read that? OK, then. Last year I joked about coming up with a recipe for ramps on hot dogs. Little did I know it had been done. I got a photo from a reader yesterday of the menu board at "Bob's Hot Dogs" near Elkins and lo and behold, there on the menu, among a myriad of special hot dogs, is a "Ramp Dog."

As Charles writes, ramps really have a bad reputation and I agree that it's totally undeserved. Yeah, they stink a little, but they have one of the best flavors of any onion-like plant I've ever tasted. I am making plans to head to Bob's for a Ramp Dog. Anybody with me?

3 comments:

larryosaurus said...

Shotgun!

The Film Geek said...

Dude, I'd give them a shot too! But, we'd have to agree to drive back with the car windows rolled down.

Christopher Scott Jones said...

I've got a stash of fresh ramps from Richwood. I'm tempted to add some to a Sam's of 8th St. spicy sauce/slaw/mustard daog (with the ramps taking the place of the un'juns).