Saturday, April 08, 2006

Hot Dog Snobbery?

The other day I stopped into a Deli-like place on Greenbrier Street near Capital High School to see if I could grab a hot dog. And you know what? I couldn't. They don't sell them.

Now I don't have a problem with a restaurant not selling hot dogs, but what really frosted me was the response I got when I asked for one. The man behind the counter, the owner I presume, told me, and I quote, "I 've been in business for 17 years and haven't sold the first hot dog." He said it with a dismissive tone, like he was French or something.

I have found that locally owned restaurants usually have hot dogs even if they aren't on the menu and so I will often ask for them. This is the first time I have gotten this kind of chilly (not chili) response. It made me wonder if there is some snobbery at work here and so I ask you, my loyal readers, is the hot dog seen by some people as a second class citizen in the food kingdom?

No comments: