Saturday, January 07, 2006

What is a WV Hot Dog?

Charlestonians think a real hot dog includes a wiener on a bun topped with chili, slaw, onions, and mustard. Ketchup is sometimes standard. I prefer mine with all of these but if ketchup is missing I am just fine with it.

My wife orders her dogs without weiner. Actually, she makes me order them because she doesn't like the curious looks she gets. She gets everything else, like me, that comes standard.

My co-worker Tim is a relative minimalist who likes only mustard and chili.

Now I know there are many variations of hot dogs sold in the Charleston area, and Hillbilly Hotdogs in Huntington take variety to a new level, but for the sake of our discussion we're going to stick to the above definition of a WV Hot Dog. It's my blog, so there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is no such thing as chili on a WV hotdog. It is sauce. Chili goes in a bowl with crackers and cheese. Sauce goes on a hotdog with mustard, onion, and slaw.